ituated at number nineteen, High Street, Stratford upon Avon, Hathaway Tea Rooms is a Grade II* listed building and occupies one of the town’s most historic buildings. The building was constructed around 1610, exactly the same time as Shakespeare moved into his retirement home of New Place on Chapel Street.
According to deeds now held by the Shakespeare Archives on Henley Street, in 1728 the property was known locally as The George Inn and was owned by Daniel Yeates of Hampton Lovett who purchased number 19 and 20 High Street for £160.
In 1738 ownership was passed to Thomas Pasham of Stratford upon Avon, a book seller.
From 1752 to 1803 the property took on a medical role, serving first as an apothecary, an early form of pharmacy, in the tenure of Robert Carruthers and from 1757 becoming a combined surgery and apothecary in the names of William Smith, Richard Walls, John Knottesford, Thomas Nott and Thomas Mills.
From the mid-nineteenth century, the property was occupied by a boot and shoe manufacturer owned by William Baldwin. In 1874, Alfred Rider added his name to the business which became known as “William Baldwin & Alfred Rider”. In 1892 the Baldwin name was dropped and Alfred Rider took sole ownership. The property remained a thriving shoe shop until the early 1900s. Interestingly, Arthur William Rider, possibly the owners son, is listed as a boarder at King Edward VI School in Stratford between 1886 and 1889. Finally, in 1931, the property became known as Hathaway Tea Rooms.